Sunday, August 8, 2010

Have You Met Katy Duck?

  

Katy Duck is a Caterpillar, by Alyssa Satin Capucilli (author) and Henry Cole (illustrator), is a darling book about overcoming disappointment through improvisation and imagination. When Katy Duck is not assigned to be a beautiful flower or a graceful swan in her spring dance recital, she is extremely disheartened. However, by the end of the story, she figures out how to make her small part into something fabulous.

I picked this book as the "debut" book on my blog for several reasons:

1. This is a debut of sorts for Katy Duck, too. She is featured in a handful of board books, but this is the first time she has appeared in a picture book. You can read about all of Katy Duck's adventures here.

2. Alyssa Satin Capucilli has two new Katy Duck activities on her website. You can see them here. One is a connect-the-dots and the other a coloring page. In researching the book, I also discovered that Alyssa Satin Capucilli loves to dance!

3. I was lucky enough to meet Henry Cole at the recent ALA conference in Washington, DC. He seemed like such a fun guy...and a generous one, too. He actually drew a picture of Katy Duck in the notebook I was carrying around with me at the conference. I will keep it forever. Thank you, Henry Cole.

4. This book is terrific!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with me on Book Talk Tuesday! This book reminds me of Charlie and Lola's "There is Only 1 Sun and That is Me"...
    http://youtu.be/hKy14-Kg9kM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelly. Thanks for sharing the Charlie and Lola video. It was really cute, but now I am wondering what part Lola gets in the school play! I bet she makes something very positive out of the role she gets, just like Katy does in the book :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...