Friday, November 17, 2017

Poetry Friday: Wintry Night

It's been a while since I've posted here, and even longer since I've participated in Poetry Friday...so today is a doubly good day! Thanks to Raincity Librarian for hosting the roundup and to all you poetry lovers out there for participating.  

Officially, winter is still pretty far away. But the shorter days and more frequent cloud coverage are certainly making it feel like winter. The newfound darkness has also affected my spirits, as I have to admit I was in a bit of a fog last week. Luckily I started adjusting toward the end of the week, and inspiration slowly crept back in. Ahhh...what a comforting feeling.

On Sunday afternoon, I turned on our gas fireplace for a true wintry experience--with my computer in my lap of course. While I was fireside with our dog, reminiscing warmly about the fires and fireplaces of my childhood, the following poem came to be. It's less playful than the poems I usually write for the littlest of tots, and is perhaps for a slightly older audience, so I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. This seemed like a good place to put it.

Even though the poem relays a moment of stillness, I'm still posting it here on my blog, which emphasizes movement and dance. Moments of stillness can be integral to telling the story of a dance or relaying the emotion of a piece of choreography. This is also a reminder that amid the chaos of the upcoming holiday season, don't forget to enjoy your own little moments of stillness!


Found this after I wrote the poem. So perfect!
Art by Tom Woods for Puzzle Warehouse

Wintry Night

Crackle crackle
Orange light
Burning embers
Wintry night

Nuzzle nuzzle
Furry friends
Snuggle closer
Stirring ends

Drifting drifting
Wondrous dreams
Just as purrr-fect
As it seems...




8 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Kerry! I am ready for winter, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! Hope you have a fantastic fall and winter!

      Delete
  2. Stillness and peace seem to be making quite a few appearances this week in various poems. This one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting observation, Kay. I'm still making my way through the posts but will keep an eye out for that. Wonder if others are also reacting to daylight savings, or just getting ready for the hectic winter season. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I don't have a fireplace anymore, but the thought of that 'crackle, crackle' and time by the fire still makes me happy. Thanks for the poem and the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me happy :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I think your moment of peace is really moving :)
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest is so important to any creative endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...